CONCRETE PATIO MAINTENANCE
Concrete patios offer many advantages over wood or synthetic look-alike products. They offer more design flexibility—in shape, color, surface treatments. Concrete can be stamped, stenciled, or etched to resemble other materials or to have a unique look of its own. It’s more durable, longer-lasting, and less expensive. Plus, it’s easier to clean and requires less maintenance.
But low-maintenance isn’t no-maintenance. Here are a few tips on how to maintain a concrete patio for years of beauty and enjoyment.
Clean on a Regular Basis
A patio is like any other room in the house. Keeping it free of debris prevents wear and discoloration from leaves, berries, seeds and spills that fall on it.
- Brush away any debris and deicing or fertilizer chemicals and follow up with a thorough washing.
- Spot-clean any spills to prevent staining. Dissolve and wash away greasy spots with a dishwashing detergent.
- Wash and scrub the patio with a dishwashing soap at the start and end of the season; more often if needed.
Reseal Every 2-3 Years
Just like the protective wax on a car, concrete sealer wears away with weather and wear. Keep colors vibrant and surfaces fresh by resealing the concrete periodically.
- Rinse away dirt and debris with a hose-end sprayer or power washer.
- Apply liquid dish detergent and scrub the surface with a push broom.
- Rinse thoroughly until all the soap suds are gone.
- Dry the surface completely. You can use a leaf blower or simply wait 24 hours for it to air dry.
- Apply the sealer
- Choose a time when the air temperature is between 55 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit
- Mix the sealer and anti-skid material per directions (5 gal. of sealer covers about 1,000 sq. ft.)
- Apply the sealer with a 1” nap roller, stirring frequently to keep the anti-skid material suspended (it won’t pass through a sprayer)
- Work in small sections for full coverage without missed spots
- If needed, apply a second coat once the first coat is tack-free
Making your customer aware of these easy maintenance practices will ensure that your work will stay beautiful and keep your customer happy for years of enthusiastic referrals.
Whether it’s concrete surface prep, cutting, or coring, the right tools ensure results you’ll be proud to show off. Ace Cutting Equipment is your source for rugged, reliable concrete and masonry equipment and supplies.